• Beta Marine Limited do not accept any responsibility
for incorrect engine selection.
• Please use this table as a rough guide to select the engine size you need for your canal boat (both narrow boats and wide beamers).
• This guide is based upon cruising in still water canals at a relaxed engine speed. If you are using flowing rivers and/or tidal estuaries then a slightly larger engine size may be more suitable.
• Most of our canals and rivers in the UK are limited to 4 mph (3.5 knots) and do not need much power to achieve this; however you should consider safety and manoeuvrability where it is preferable to be able to stop your 10 tons to 30 tons of canal boat in its length.
• You should talk to the boat builder (as they should know the boats designed performance) - the propeller specialist can specify a suitable propeller (based upon engine horse power and rpm) - we then supply the required engine. (The recommended propellers detailed below are based upon 3 fixed blades and a 2:1 reduction gearbox).
• Beta Marine Limited do not accept any responsibility for incorrect engine selection.
|Beta Engine||Power Output||Narrow Boat||Wide Beam||Propeller||Bow Thruster|
|Beta 14||13.3 bhp at 3,600 rpm||20' - 25'||6 tons||12” x 8”||6 hp|
|Beta 16||16 bhp at 3,600 rpm||20' - 30'||7 tons||12” x 8”||6 hp|
|Beta 20||20 bhp at 3,600 rpm||20' - 35'||8 tons||13” x 8”||6 hp|
|Beta 25||25 bhp at 3,600 rpm||25' - 40'||10 tons||14” x 8”||6 hp|
|Beta 30||30 bhp at 3,600 rpm||30' - 40'||12 tons||15” x 9”||6 hp|
|Beta 38||35 bhp at 2,800 rpm||40' - 50'||14 tons||16” x 10”||6 hp|
|Beta 43||43 bhp at 2,800 rpm||50' - 70'||18 tons||18” x 12”||6 hp|
|Beta 50||50 bhp at 2,800 rpm||60' - 70'||18 tons||45' - 50'||22 tons||19” x 12”||6 hp|
|Beta 60||56 bhp at 2,700 rpm||50' - 55'||22 tons||20” x 12”||10 hp|
|Beta 75||75 bhp at 2,600 rpm||55' - 60'||28 tons||20” x 14”||10 hp|
|Beta 90||90 bhp at 2,600 rpm||60' - 70'||28 tons||Please Ask||10 hp|
|Beta 105||99 bhp at 2,600 rpm||65' - 75'||30 tons||Please Ask||10 hp|
|Beta 150||147 bhp at 2,800 rpm||70' - 100'||40 tons||Please Ask||10 - 15 hp|
|JD3 Tug||30 bhp at 1,200 rpm||60' - 70' Tug||18 tons||20" x 20"|
With the longer Narrowboats – say 50 to 70 feet on the Inland Waterways, we generally look at two different applications (power requirements):
a) The canal system where it is recommended that you can stop your vessel / boat within a boat length.
b) More the inland river system and estuaries where the tides and rivers can flow at up to 8 knots at different times of the year.
One of our dealers / marine engineers has said the he can go anywhere on the UK canals with a Beta 38; We guess he always allows for the changing tides and does not venture out after heavy rains and fast flowing rivers.
Another experienced marine engineer uses 1hp per foot, and he says that he has never been caught out wanting on engine power. Technically, a propeller specialist states the propeller required and the power required to drive it.
As an engine manufacturer we will always err on the side of caution with a small safety margin (we try to avoid being undersized).